In three days, I leave on a very long awaited adventure to Burundi, Africa. Originally planned for summer of 2015, the election year in Burundi caused a lot of unrest which led to the trip being postponed to this year.
When I first felt the Lord tugging at my heart to apply (in the Fall of 2014), I wasn’t sure why. I didn’t want to go if I wasn’t called. I didn’t see a burning bush telling me to go but I didn’t see a burning bushing telling me not to either. As I shared this with a dear friend and mentor in our church hallway right before the service, she encouraged me to go for it. What did I have to loose?
When my application was accepted, I was excited and still apprehensive. $3,800 is a lot of money to raise. I am independent now…how would I make it not working for three weeks? Who else would be going that I would have as an ally?
So the next “fleece” was fundraising. I started making “Bread for Burundi” and many people in the Haviland community graciously supported me through that. By my calculations, I only had to make 380 loaves of bread before my funds were raised…help us.
My wonderful father offered to do a fundraising night at my parent’s church where he would make his famous fajitas. I went into that night praying the Lord would bring in at least $500.
I raised almost exactly the amount I had left to raise (almost $3,000) in one night.
Yea God. 🙂
At this point I realized the Lord must have much bigger plans for this trip than I could ever dream up.
Later that Spring, all of the members of the trip received an email that the trip would be postponed due to political unrest anticipated during the time of our trip. I was angry, I was disappointed, and I was confused. I went right over to my Aunt Doris’s house on my way home from work and just cried to her. She lived in Burundi/Rwanda for many years and she was the one person who I knew would have wisdom for the situation.
She sat with me as a cried and encouraged me that this was still God’s plan. She said even if nothing happens this summer in Burundi, this is still His timing and he always knows best.
So now, fast forward a year and a few months later, here I am getting ready to hop on a plane with 20 other people on a journey to Burundi, Africa. IS THIS REAL LIFE.
The process getting to this point was and is still pretty uncertain. Many plans have changed, many plans have not even been made yet.
I am nervous about team dynamics with a group of people I (mostly) do not know.
I am nervous about not having much communication with my loved ones.
I am also nervous about not having a set schedule (at my weakest I turn into a bit of a control freak).
But I am certain of one thing, I have already learned a lot in preparing for this trip, and have full faith knowing the Lord will continue to transform my heart. I am certain it will be painful and hard, but I want that. In a time of my life with so many uncertainties, knowing God is in control is the warm security blanket wrapped around me.
Last week, I felt the Lord lay on my heart that my prayer for the Burundi trip should be to be strong and courageous. No matter what I am faced with, I pray that I will be strong and courageous in his mighty power.
Check out my Facebook page tomorrow for a video with some quick deets about what we will be doing and what prayers I would covet from you. 🙂